It was by sheer happenstance that I stumbled across this young woman on Instagram, without knowing she was the face behind one of my favorite IG and Tumblr: Natural Hair Daily. Meet Elle. Her hair alone is inspiration enough to follow her. Learn more about how long she has been natural, her regimen, and her words of wisdom regarding going and embracing your natural tresses!
Name, Age, Location.
My name is Elle. I’m twenty-something years old and I live in London, UK.
How did your natural hair journey begin?
My journey began in October 2006. My hair was dyed and relaxed, so I ended up chopping off most of the damaged ends. I missed having long hair and came across a popular hair forum after researching hair tips. At first I was in awe at the ladies with waist length hair, but then came across ladies with gorgeous curls and kinks, which led me to be curious about my own natural hair texture. I relaxed my hair in December 2006 and instantly regretted it. The same day I vowed never to chemically straighten my hair again.
How, better than anyone, do you describe your hair?
My hair is a diva and she behaves how she likes, lol. I’ve decided to stop fighting it and let it do what it wants. My hair texture is loose at the back, and tighter at the front.
Three hair products you can’t live without. Go.
Only three? Ok:
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner – I love, love love this! I also use it as a deep conditioner mixed with honey, coconut milk and olive oil. My hair stays moisturised until the next wash day.
- Naturalista Cosmetics Juicy Leave-In Conditioner – Usually I don’t care much for how a product smells, but the scent is absolutely divine! Works well to keep my edges moisturised when I wear high buns.
- Paul Mitchell Flexible Style Sculpting Foam – Great product for maintaining my wash n go style and it doesn’t make my hair hard either!
Your coils are absolutely gorgeous! What is your current hair care/styling regimen? Any special treatments?
I can be lazy with my hair and as I’m always on the go I tend to opt for hassle free styles. During week days, if I’m not wearing my hair out (mainly twistouts or a wash ‘n’ go) then it’s in a high mega bun. Apart from my weekly deep conditioning treatments, I’ll steam my hair once every three months. No special treatments, just patience 🙂
You run a popular blog and IG by the name of “Natural Hair Daily” that has posted over 2,400 pictures of different natural hair beauties and has a following of over 25k. What inspired you to start this blog?
I started Natural Hair Daily to encourage naturalistas worldwide to inspire others to embrace their natural hair.
There may be some readers who aspire to take the plunge into the natural hair world. Any words of wisdom?
- Have an open mind – not everyone will be positive about your decision, but don’t dwell on it. Yes, your hair may not look how you want it to during the awkward, in-between stages but keep on going!
- Be willing to learn and be patient – what works for someone else, may not work for you. You’ve just got to find what works well for your tresses. It’s a struggle, but well worth it!
- Connect with people who have a similar hair texture to you – YouTube, forums, natural hair events, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook are great sources of information and support. When you’re feeling discouraged, they’ll remind you why you’ve decided to embark on this journey.
- Have fun and enjoy the ride – you’re embracing what you’ve been born with. Love every single minute of it!
Connect with Elle!