Mannnn, the last time I attempted a flat twist out on my natural hair… LISTEN: It was awful. I don’t know if it was the products, the rusty technique, or a combination or both but it wasn’t good. I didn’t like it. I wore it, though! That was also back in 2012.
Changes to my hair have occurred since then. I have cut my hair shorter, even colored it lighter, and felt like it was time to try that style again! I always wondered how it would look on me with this tapered fro style, but never in a million years did I think I would like it as much as I have!
Here’s what you’ll need to recreate the look:
Bee Mine Bee-U-Tiful Deep conditioner
Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter
Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer
Bee Mine Botanical Moisturizing Shampoo
Bee Mine Hair Growth Serum
Styling Tools: Clips, Pick, Comb (all optional)
Here’s a video you can follow and below are step-by-step instructions on how to achieve the look:
1. Clarify hair and scalp with shampoo.
2. Follow up with deep conditioner, making sure all strands are completely coated with product. You can use a comb here to comb through the tangles, but I used my fingers and it was easy (so much slip). I love this deep conditioner!
3. Let deep conditioner set for 15 mins to an hour. Rinse with cool water.
4. Coat strands with Curly Butter (a little goes a long way) and section off the sides and back from the middle section of your hair.
5. Section hair for flat twisting. With a little bit of the Hair Growth Serum, seal the hair and flat twist section. You can used a comb to ensure all tangles are removed before twisting. I ended up with about 7-8 flat twists in the middle.
6. Add Luscious to the remaining hair (with a little Hair Growth Serum) and twist sides and back in chunky twists. Let air dry and/or set overnight.
7. For takedown, use a little Hair Growth Serum to coat your fingers to unravel the twists. TAKE YOUR TIME. Because of the nature of the flat twist, you will be separating your hair as you takedown. Also, unravel and separate chunky twists to your liking.
8. Use your pick to create volume and to style hair.
You’re done! My results looked something like this:
After 4 days: I actually ended up styling my hair again (from start to finish) for the Christmas holiday and after four days of doing absolutely NOTHING to it, it looked like this:
So see, a flat twist out isn’t so bad. If your skills suck (like mine did) and need more work: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Have you ever used Bee Mine Products? If so, what is your favorite?